Sunday 3 March 2013

Weekly Whimsy: Created My Very Own Chicken and Celeriac Soup!



Each week I make myself a soup or stew that will provide me with either lunch or dinner for the rest of the week.  As I suffer from chronic fatigue my recipes require minimal effort to make and once made, I then have one very easy and delicious meal for nearly every day of the week. I did this while at university too, as it was economic, simple, full of flavour and I could have it for lunch in my special flask. I made all my friends jealous, especially in the winter!

This week I challenged myself to make up my own soup and took inspiration from various recipes I found on pinterest. One of my favourite flavours is celeriac and it is still just in season, so I decided to use it as the base flavour of my soup.

This soup is very creamy and delicious. It is Paleo too, so dairy and grain free.

When cooking my stews and soups I always make my own stock and have very happily just stumbled across my Grandmother’s butcher, who gives me free chicken carcasses! The meat on the carcasses also provides me with the perfect amount of chicken for my recipes. This sadly makes me very happy!

Serves 6:

For the stock:

Ingredients:

4 chicken carcasses (use as much or little as you like, but the more you use the tastier the stock! I try to fit as many in my casserole dish as possible.)
1 red onion
½ large fennel
2 carrots
1 tablespoon dried mixed fresh herbs
4oz fresh ginger
1 bunch fresh parsley
3 bay leaves
1 dsp sea salt
3 dsp hemp oil (my favourite is 'Good Oil Hemp Oil')

Instructions:

1. Roughly chop the vegetables and ginger, tie the bunch of parsley together with cooking string and then place in the casserole dish with the carcasses.

2. Evenly sprinkle the sea salt, mixed herbs and hemp oil across the ingredients.

3. Fill the casserole dish with water to two inches from the top.

4. Slow cook the stock in the simmering oven of the Aga for several hours (I left it in overnight). For those who do not have an Aga, the simmering oven is kept at a constant 110ºC.


 
For the soup:

Ingredients:

4 chicken thighs/legs
1/3 large celeriac
2 carrots
½ turnip
2 celery sticks
1 courgette
½ bunch parsley
2 tsp salt

Instructions:

1. Roughly chop all the vegetables into the same size (remember you will blend them together).

2. Place the chicken, vegetables, salt, parsley and stock into the casserole dish.

3. Slow cook the soup in the simmering oven of the Aga for several hours (I left it in overnight). For those who do not have an Aga, the simmering oven is kept at a constant 110ºC.

4. Blend all together.

4. Serve with crispy bacon, sprig of parsley, 1 dsp of hemp oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment